Threshold Singers of Appalachia
May this heart be big enough
To hold all the joys and sorrows of life
With boundless compassion.
Threshold Singers of Appalachia is a group of caring beings who feel called to offer the gift of singing for those at life’s thresholds. We honor the ancient tradition of singing softly at bedsides for people who are ill or dying. We currently bring this service to hospitals, hospices, and private homes in the Athens, Ohio area. When invited, we visit a bedside in groups of two or three. Our songs are simple messages of love and kindness. Through this gentle music, we seek to create a sense of peace.
Rehearsals are on the first and third Thursdays of each month from 2-4 p.m. We are not a performance group. We work on learning to sing quietly together, listening carefully and blending our voices. Singing at bedsides comes in time, when each singer is ready.
We welcome new members to try out a few rehearsals and discover if we are a good fit. These are some guidelines to consider.
- Be able to carry a tune
- Be able to hold your part (or sincerely want to learn to) while others sing harmony
- Be able to sing softly and blend your voice with others (or sincerely want to learn to)
- Be able to communicate kindness with your voice.
- Be willing to use self-monitoring and accept peer feedback as we work together to bring the sweetest, most blended, and graceful sound possible to our precious clients
- Attend rehearsals regularly
- Be willing and able to create time outside of rehearsal to learn and practice the repertoire
- Use email and respond (within a day or two) to general inquiries, such as announcements and requests for singing
If you are interested in singing with us or requesting the gift of song for a loved one, please contact us at [email protected] or call (740) 541-2147.