Gather us together, Spirit of Harmony.
Arise in us, Loving-kindness.
Blend our voices in beauty and peace,
That they may nourish and comfort.
~Marilyn Power Scott
Who We Are
The Eugene Threshold Singers is a group of vibrant and caring women who feel called to offer the gift of singing for people at life's thresholds, especially at bedsides during the end of life. When invited, we visit a bedside in groups of two or three. Our songs are simple messages of love and kindness. Through this gentle music, we seek to create an oasis of peace at a challenging time.
We serve the Eugene-Springfield community in Oregon and are associated with several local hospice organizations.
We rehearse on the first and third Mondays of the month from 7 to 9 p.m. in North Central Eugene.
At our rehearsals, we build our repertoire of songs, reflect on the service we provide, and get to know each other better. We discuss the sensitivities of working with people at or near the end of life, along with their families and loved ones.
Because we are not a performance group, we work on learning to sing quietly together, listening carefully and blending our voices. Singing at bedsides comes in time, when each singer is ready. During rehearsals, members may choose to rest in a reclining chair in the center of our circle so they can experience the nurturing quality of being sung to by others.
Joining Our Chapter
We welcome new members to our choir annually. Although we do not require audition, there are several requirements we'd like you to consider as you decide whether our group is a good fit for you, including:
- Be able to carry a tune
- Be able to hold your part (or sincerely want to learn to) while others sing harmony
- Be able to sing softly and blend your voice with others (or sincerely want to learn to)
- Be able to communicate kindness with your voice
- Be willing to use self-monitoring and accept peer feedback as we work together to bring the sweetest, most blended, and graceful sound possible to our precious clients
- Attend rehearsals regularly
- Be willing and able to create time outside of rehearsal to learn and practice the repertoire
- Use email and respond (within a day or two) to general inquiries, such as announcements and requests for singing
If you are interested in singing with us or requesting the gift of song for a loved one, please contact us at this email address or call (541) 357-8585.