Gather us together, Spirit of Harmony.
Arise in us, Loving-kindness.
Blend our voices in beauty and peace,
That they may nourish and comfort.
~Marilyn Power Scott
The Seattle Threshold Singers offer the gift of singing for people who are seriously ill, dying, or grieving. Our songs are simple messages of love and kindness. Through this gentle music, we seek to create moments of grace in difficult times.
Where We Sing
We sing in private homes, hospitals, hospices, and care facilities. We sing regularly at Kline Galland Home, The Foss Home, Columbia Lutheran, and Providence Mount St. Vincent.
Singing at the Bedside
When invited, a small group (2-4 of our volunteers) comes to sing quietly at the bedside for a comfortable length of time — perhaps 15-30 minutes. We are sensitive to the physical and emotional needs of the individual and always respect the desire for privacy and family time. Our quiet and tender singing is meant to soothe, comfort, and bring peace. We will sing rounds, chants, lullabies, hymns, spirituals, or other a cappella music from a variety of traditions. The Seattle Threshold Singers honor all spiritual paths and have no religious affiliation. Family members and caregivers are invited to participate by listening or singing with us. Our service is our gift; there is no charge. We gratefully accept donations for our ongoing expenses.
Joining the Choir
We welcome new members to our choir without auditions. However, there are several requirements that we would like you to consider as you decide whether our group is a good fit for you.
The international Threshold Choir organization asks that you:
- Be able to carry a tune
- Be able to hold your part (or sincerely want to learn to) while others sing harmony
- Be able to sing softly and blend your voice with others (or sincerely want to learn to)
- Be able to communicate kindness with your voice
- Be willing to use self-monitoring and accept peer feedback as we work together to bring the sweetest, most blended, and graceful sound possible to our precious clients
In addition, the Seattle Threshold Singers ask that you:
- Be able to attend at least 2 rehearsals a month
- Are available to sing at the bedside 2 times a month
- Are willing and able to create time outside of rehearsal to learn and practice the repertoire
- Use email and are able to respond as needed (within a day or two) to general inquiries, announcements, and requests for singing
Important to our growth are our weekly rehearsals, where we build our repertoire of songs, reflect on the service we provide, and get to know each other better. Since this is not a performance choir, we practice singing quietly together, carefully listening to one another and blending our voices. At most rehearsals, we have time for members to rest in a reclining chair in the center of our circle and experience being sung to by others. We also take time to sing our blessings and prayers to all about whom we care.
Our rehearsals are held on:
- First and third Wednesdays from 11 to 1 in West Seattle
- First and third Thursdays from 11 to 1 in the Echo Lake neighborhood of Shoreline
- Second and fourth Wednesday evenings from 7 to 9 in the Phinney neighborhood of Seattle
Shoreline rehearsals are currently waitlisted and we are considering adding second and fourth Thursday rehearsals in Shoreline. Let us know if this is something you would be interested in.
Extra rehearsals for new singers are also scheduled as needed on alternate Thursday mornings or Wednesday evenings.
We also offer an intensive bedside singing training for new members once or twice a year (times vary).
If you or someone you know would like to receive our gift of song, or if you are interested in singing with us, please contact us by email.